Older adults are more susceptible to acquiring viral infections and other illnesses than their younger counterparts, and each year, new strains of the flu and other communicable diseases threaten the health of seniors. Fortunately, there are ways to protect your aging parents and loved ones. Home Care Assistance of Denver, CO presents a few simple lifestyle changes that can help your loved one boost his or her immune system in a safe, natural way.
- Sleep – As simple as it may sound, routinely getting a good night’s rest is crucial to maintaining effective immunity. An ideal amount of sleep to promote optimal health should range between seven and nine hours.
- Eat Fruits and Vegetables – Adding plenty of brightly colored fruits and vegetables to the diet is an important part of cultivating a disease fighting response in the body. Selections that are high in vitamins C, E, beta-carotene and zinc are especially helpful, and fresh garlic has been shown to be a key ingredient in warding off illness.
- Manage Stress – People who are living with chronic stress produce too much cortisol that tends to block adequate disease fighting processes in the body. Setting time aside to exercise, enjoy an evening out or work on a favorite hobby can reduce stress and, over time, enhance the immune system.
- Add Probiotics to the Diet – Beneficial bacteria, or probiotics, can help repel disease when they are consumed regularly enough to colonize an individual’s intestines. They are found in yogurt that contains live cultures and in other fermented foods such as sauerkraut. Once the friendly bacteria has made their home in the gut, they are able to fend off pathogenic organisms.
- Herbal Remedies – Some naturally growing herbs have shown to have properties that work to enhance the immune system. Oregano has antibacterial properties, Japanese mushrooms are packed with antioxidants, and ginger effectively cleanses the lungs, lymphatic system and sinuses of harmful toxins.
If your aging parent or loved one is frequently ill or is having trouble staying active, remembering to take medications or completing daily tasks, it might be time to provide them with additional support.
Home Care Assistance is a premier provider of senior care, offering flexible live-in and hourly care in Denver and the surrounding communities. Our highly trained and compassionate caregivers can assist with a number of activities, including nutritious meal preparation, light housekeeping and medication reminders to ensure your loved one’s health and safety. To learn more, request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation by calling 720-443-3371 – we’re here to help 24/7.